View Single Post
      07-11-2014, 09:19 PM   #3
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Diesel, F450

I agree. I live in FL and got only considered X drives. It's not that much of an uplift in price, and, if you drive in any unfavorable conditions, having 4WD is just so helpful. Rain, snow, off road at all, you'll be much happier with all 4 wheels pulling. An SUV without 4WD really only makes sense to me if you live in an area where it never snows, rarely rains, and you never plan to touch anything other than pavement with the vehicle.

In 10 years, the vast majority of cars sold in the US will be 4WD in my humble opinion. The systems really are just that good now, they really have almost no downside (other than complexity, but, they very rarely break anymore, so it's not all that much of an issue), they drive just as nice and stick to the road dramatically better than 2WD. 2WD will live on for pure straight line performance (think Corvette/Camaro), but, for anything that's "practical" I think they will all have 4WD setups in the future. Even cars you wouldn't expect (like the new Jaguar) are coming in 4WD.

What's the swing in price between S and X drive (comparably equipped)? I have a diesel, which only comes in 4WD, so I never even built one without it.
Appreciate 0