View Single Post
      04-20-2024, 07:08 PM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Thanks for the additional info.

In regard to the “programming” by the dealer…its a good additional money maker for the dealership…since many owners may not need the “programming”.

Since the remotes come already with the 128-bit encryption when ordered from BMW, and if you purchase the metal key, that will come already cut to fit the lock cylinders. The ”programming” the dealers sell (without really explaining it) is used to disable any missing/lost key from operating the vehicle. So if you lost the remote fob in a place where it could never be tracked to the vehicle…then the extra programming isn’t really needed unless you want to do it for peace of mind. If the BMW has comfort access…the programming will prevent the lost remote from being able to not only start the vehicle, but also prevent it from unlocking the doors (with the CA feature). So even if they used the metal keyblade to unlock the driver’s door, the remote won’t be able to start the vehicle or unlock the vehicle using CA when it has been disabled through programming.

Glad to hear/read that you were able to get done what you needed. There’s usually not that many success stories with the new generation remotes.

BTW, if anyone is curious as to what a new remote can go for…first use your VIN on a parts database site like realoem.com or bimmercat.com to get the correct 11 digit BMW part number for the remote or key that your BMW uses. You can then go to the BMW Mini Part Store site and paste the correct 11 digit BMW part number into the search box to find the exact type of remote/key you need and see how much the MSRP is and how much of a discount you may be able to get.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0