View Single Post
      02-22-2017, 08:48 AM   #15
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Can we be a little more specific with details when we describe steering wheel feel? Road feel is very different with 20" and summer rubber than 19" and taller skinnier tires. My 20's with Dunlop summer performance run flat tires feel precise and accurate. I hated the heavy unnecessary steering at low parking lot speeds on the E70's and I will admit that highway speeds were good, but the F15 with the above specs at highway speeds are pretty good as well.
When we say light steering, we generally mean that there is very little feeling of connection between the steering wheel and the tires on the road. Steering effort is generally low (the effort gives no indication about the degree to which tires are turned) and it's very difficult to feel what the front tires are experiencing (grip level, bumps, etc.)

The X5's steering isn't inaccurate per se, but the stock steering definitely can give one a sense that there's a bit of play between the wheel and the front tires. It's simply not confidence inspiring in stock form. High speed sweeping turns require constant adjustments to hold a line because there's not enough steering effort to help the driver keep the wheels at a constant angle.

If you feel an example of good steering, drive an older sports car if you get a chance. I had an E46 M3 and a 911 and the steering in those cars was absolutely alive. Appropriate weighting and effort made it feel like you were holding onto the front wheels directly and every bump, change in road surface, or change in traction levels was transmitted back through the wheel into your hands. Good steering lets you know exactly what's going on at the point of contact with the road.

Of course, the benefits of a more analogue feeling steering setup usually come at the expense of comfort and this is why lighter steering that requires less steering effort and and provides less feedback is preferable for the luxo-barge/cruiser set. Much more comfortable to drive, especially at low speeds or over longer distances.

Unfortunately, this is the crowd that BMW is now chasing to steal share from Mercedes. On the plus side, it seems to be working for them in terms of total sales. On the down side, the moniker "Ultimate Driving Machine" may not be totally relevant anymore.
Appreciate 0