View Single Post
      02-22-2017, 12:59 PM   #17
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
I've driven cars with no assisted steering for along time before and other older cars to understand what you are saying. However I just have to disagree... when I want to drive aggressively, I want to be able to turn the steering wheel with less effort and quicker than the traditional hydraulic wheels. With my current steering, I can feel as much road feel as I did with my E70 and E60 cars... Maybe the tire type has to do with it... only difference is that my wife can now drive in parking lot speeds and park the car without looking like a wrestler.
To each his own but keep in mind that it's less about absolute steering effort (especially since it naturally gets easier to steer at higher speeds) and more about feeling like there's a direct connection between the steering wheels and the tires. A little bit of weight on the steering wheel while on a constant line or feedback from the road surface goes a long way towards fostering that feeling.

Upgraded/modified tires/wheels/suspension should absolutely have an impact on steering feel but I don't think anybody would refute that the steering setup on the X5 in stock form is a bit lackluster. Anybody who says it's actually good (in stock form) likely hasn't yet driven a car with really good steering to compare.
Appreciate 1
Kzang3240.00