View Single Post
      05-01-2016, 08:09 AM   #170
UnhappySwede
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 -2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkleBriteX5 View Post
Don't move to Florida. We literally have 10-11 months of hot, humid, sticky summer weather, and we're not even in south Florida. Talk about looking at life through a window. Can't move away from here soon enough. Going to live on a mountain in Tennessee, get some cooler weather and 4 seasons more like NY where we're from. And, I'll get the 2018 xDrive X5 next. We would welcome you in the US. :-D
Yea, I spent a summer week in Florida and barely got out alive. That humid heat was out of this world, and yet there was road workers in every corner working with burning asphalt in full protective gear. So no, I won't be taking my talents to South Beach.

I guess to the natives of Florida, anything colder than that would be unthinkable. As for me, I think Idaho/Oregon/Washington would suit me the best. It gives plenty of opportunities for all my outdoor hobbies, and while Americans complain that winter is too long in Idaho, it's still several months shorter than over here. Last year was the coldest I can remember over here, spring and summer was particulary Cold and you couldn't take your jacket off until august and a few weeks later it was all over anyway.The real estate prices in these areas are also low enough that living could be sustained on passive income from other investments.

The issue is work. I wouldn't move to pursuit a career but rather slow down pace of life. I'm uneducated but I could for instance drive a truck part time in Sweden as a contractor for 35-40 usd/hour, without any health care/retirement costs to think about. It's not much either but it can sustain life even at part time. Being uneducated in these US states, everyone says you'd better prepare for working at minimum wage levels.

In retrospect, I specialized in the wrong industry. I was able to make a career locally, but my skills aren't worth anything anywhere else. It looks like we are finally getting some "heat" ahead (64F) so I'll just go and pretend everything is all right for a while.
Appreciate 0