View Single Post
      04-11-2016, 11:58 AM   #95
CANGRKE70
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5

There are way too many Carls in Fear the Walking Dead for my liking. Alicia being the biggest one...cat fished in the apocalypse...well done.

Best review I've read online today.

Quote:
In a show that’s supposed to document the fall of Los Angeles as a microcosm for the degradation of the world as a whole, we skip over what could have been the best part. But I guess, why would we want to see Los Angeles actually fall, right? Let’s get our characters on to a boat so they can brood for 50 minutes.

From the opening until the episode’s final five minutes, there’s very little substance or action in the season two premiere. Yes, Chris punches his father Travis for killing his mother. They dump her body into the ocean. Strand decides not to help a lot of other people on the ocean. Nick declares that he is good at medical stuff. Alicia meets some guy named Jack on the radio. Daniel catches an eel while fishing. They all share a nice meal.

But, as has been the case from the beginning on Fear the Walking Dead, none of this really feels important. There’s no weight to it. The show does almost nothing to make us care about characters or to move the plot forward. A boy is mad his mother died. A lonely girl makes a friend. A survivor acts selfishly. It’s all just the most basic, predictable shit imaginable. In a single episode, the characters can’t even make it 100 miles to San Diego.

The big problem with Fear the Walking Dead is that these characters are flat. None of them are particularly distinctive. They’re just normal people. Flawed? Scared? Yes! But ultimately normal. They’re the background characters on the Atlanta Walking Dead. Characters who are disposable in a big action scene. Only Fear the Walking Dead doesn’t have those, so everyone survives.
Appreciate 0