View Single Post
      08-03-2017, 06:16 PM   #7
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Why did you change your oil at 2k miles?
I love oil threads

Rumor is metal particles from break in period are at the max during first 3k miles or so. So many people change it for a piece of mind. This was debated to death, but still no 100% scientific answer. Probably truth is that it wouldn't hurt to change oil early, even if modern engines have come a long way from 70's and even if there is virtually no metal shavings in oil or very minimal amount that doesn't affect anything. I say let people change it if that gives them a good night sleep. After all, sleep pills are often more expensive than a simple extra oil change

I also tend to agree that on turbo engines changing oil 10k miles is a bit too long imho. Especially if you like to push it a little sometimes. BMWs are notorious for higher working engine temperature (efficiency and performance) and 2 turbos - all this can use some shorter periods, maybe 6-7k miles. Of course if you are leasing - majority won't care, but those who financed new or bought CPO - they tend to keep cars a bit longer

P.S. You 35i guys are lucky. 50i engines are notorious for oil degradation and consumption - probably one of the most demanding engines in terms of oil change intervals and oil quality. I don't want to pay $20k for a new engine due to any issues with oil (hello rod bearings)

Last edited by DuSh; 08-03-2017 at 06:27 PM..
Appreciate 0