View Single Post
      04-07-2021, 12:28 PM   #2
KLR X5M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by VETTEPRO View Post
I'm running Dinan filters but want a full cold air system, if for nothing but the looks.
I know some guys get a CEL from the AFE. It's probably due to a difference in the diameter of the MAF tube. Is this an ongoing problem?
What codes are you getting from the AFE? I would guess it's a lean code because the tube is larger and passes more air than the MAF sensor is aware of. Anyone with a definitive answer?
Has anyone dyno tested a Dinan vs. AFE? I'm thinking that on a fully tuned engine, the AFE might be better.
Code is an 20e120 which is actually a PCV code. Happens randomly ie won't get it for months, then a few time in a week. It's actually the most common code for aftermarket intakes across all bmw platforms. I would suspect your logic is right, that more air than expected, so assumes its a PCV leak. Afr is still bang on in logs so closed loop is doing its thing to keep it from leaning. I would think if you could calibrate the MAF frequency vs actual airflow like on gm Ls maf cars would not be a problem. I've just kept my bm3 cable in the car an clear it when it comes up. Sound and performance from AFE is great, as is the OTR style feed. Truthfully, I doubt there is a major difference I performance vs dinan filters with no top lid in stock airbox. Rk is another option that allegedly does not through codes and is OTR style with filters behind the grill.
Appreciate 0