Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 & 2020 X5

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike5150 View Post
I don't think anyone has been able to make the paddles work on a non m-sport X5. I believe it was determined there was a wire missing. Good luck.
Ok after much research and some excellent info sent to me by the service manager of BMW Townsville I have managed to get paddle shift to work on my bog standard bottom of the range X5 without 2TB or 2TE fitted from the factory.

Firstly there is a subtle difference in the paddle shift wiring on the F25/26 and the F15/16 steering wheel

On the X3/X4 the pink and white wires for the paddle shift connect in the 6 pin plug at pins #4 and #5 respectively. These wires then connect to the JBE ECU.
In an OEM X5 SW (Steering Wheel) ONLY the white wire connects in the 6 pin plug at pin #5. This wire then connects to the BDC ECU.

In the X5 circuit diagram, the pink wire is now spliced to the black wire that earths to the SW. This wire is also spliced again to join the 6 pin plug at pin #3. These splices are not visible as they are covered in black insulation tape.
I removed the tape to confirm the status of my SW and then reconnected the pink wire previously connected at pin#4 to now where the black wire earths on the SW. I did this by unscrewing the T10 Torx screw and wedging the metal "fishplate" under the black wire plate (see last photo)

Once this wiring mod was done, I then wrapped up the wires with cloth insulation tape, reconnected the plug and airbag and then reconnected the car battery.
I then FDL coded the paddle shift option in the BDC module from nicht aktiv to aktiv

Once again many thanks to DW at BMW Townsville for his valuable assistance
Attached Images

Last edited by Bambazonke; 11-29-2018 at 05:37 AM..
Appreciate 7
DuSh2113.50
Koer59.50
maDjzo863.00