09-21-2014, 10:17 PM   #28
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiplee View Post
I noticed that, too. We had the pleasure of having both our E70 and F15 for a week and as I compared them there were definitely a few things I knew I would miss about the E70. I just handed it back over to BMW NA today and I admit it was a little sad. It was repurchased due to a dealer's many failed attempts to address the VANOS failure issue, but we loved the car and didn't have any intention of selling or trading right now.

They both have/had staggered 20" wheel setups, but I had to return the E70 to stock for turn in so today I drove it with the old non-staggered 19" wheels with the original Bridgestones, and man did it ever drive great. Big tires really are just for looks on these vehicles. For driving characteristics they grab every imperfection in the road and make the steering feel sloppy. I ran into some windy conditions on my 1400 mile drive home with the new F15 and it was a handful. I'm tempted to experiment the same way you are with the front alignment. There's no excuse for that kind of road wander on a brand new set of tires. I bet I could get the dealer to add toe in for free by complaining about/reporting bad driving characteristics in certain conditions.
You mean it is not aligned properly or is it just a defect the way F15's are manufactured?