Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikado463 View Post
Gents, thanks again for the replies and I must admit I know nothing about 'coding procedures' with regards to battery replacement.

Qsilver, thank you again, as always your replies are super informative !!
No problem. Coding & registering is not that difficult. The biggest issue owners probably have is assuming that they are the same thing. The forums threads oft conflate the two procedures as if they are one in the same.

Coding is required when you change the battery to one with different specs. Like if the old battery was a 49/H8 battery with a 92AH rating…and you replace it with a 95R/H9 battery with a 105 AH rating. This change is great enough that the system needs to be CODED to reflect the capacity of the battery is different.

Registering the battery is required ANY time that you replace the battery. This gives the system info that the charging system needs to set a new baseline in regard to its communication with the new battery. If the old battery was working hard in a discharged state…the charging system would reflect this. You don’t want the charging system to treat the new battery like the old one…that is why you register new batteries.

But if you replace your old battery with a new battery that has the same specs…then no coding is needed…you only need to register the new battery.

And if you have coding apps like BimmerCode and Bimmerlink…its as easy as hooking up to your devices and opening the app and perform the coding and/or registration. If coding is required, you perform that first, then register the new battery.

First pic below is from the BimmerCode app where you CODE for the battery if you change the type & capacity. (See note at bottom that says code then register w/Bimmerlink)

The 2nd & 3rd pics below are from the BimmerLink app where you go to register a new battery. You just click the 12v battery button, then scroll down to the bottom of the page where it says “register new battery”. It’s just that simple if you have the right tools.
This pretty much sums it up. Just changed the main battery on the family X5.
Appreciate 0