DR1er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 640i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmPower View Post
That's what I am afraid of , both have pros and cons.

Two of my friends have Cayennes, one has an 09 S and another just picked up an S hybrid. As for quality, the 2nd gen Cayenne is light years ahead in terms of interior and quality. Unfortunately I have not driven the new one yet but have had considerable amount of seat time in the 09. I really like how it drives.

As for the X5, I have had some seat in the E70 48i. Loved the pick up and the ease to drive but you are right it does feel like a boat (compared to the Cayenne of course).

That being said, I notice you have a Cayenne Diesel. Does it feel 'slow' and what kind of mileage do you get? The reason I ask is that I am leaning towards the diesel myself.

Thanks again for your help!
You need to drive the new Cayenne to get a real feel... it really moves! I would say there is no lag in the diesel or at least not really noticeable. Response time when you step on it is almost instant even in regular (non-sport) mode. Porsche uses a turbo setup they call VGT (variable geometry turbo), which is the one they say is responsible of eliminating the lag. I drove the X35D before getting the Cayenne and you can really notice the difference.

Mileage is awesome. The Cayenne Diesel is my daily driver and I visit the pump each 3 weeks and it's not like it's parked all the time, I do approx 800 miles per month. Of course you have to pay a prime for getting the diesel which you will probably not recoup if you don't drive a lot, but still I find the Diesel really convenient, specially when you go on long road trips (as I often do) and you get the extra bonus (if you care about that) of polluting a bit less

If Porsche would add more tech stuff to their vehicles, it would be tough to beat them, but that's not their focus.
Appreciate 0