View Single Post
      02-17-2017, 01:01 PM   #1
Raikkonen
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Better Long-Term Investment: 1992 Mercedes 500e or 2006 BMW M3 Competition???

I have the opportunity to buy one of two cars, and am quite frankly torn between which I should pursue.

I have unfortunately chosen to purchase just one, and only one...

One is a 1992 Mercedes 500e, and the other is a 2006 BMW M3 with the Competition package.

As both cars can be purchased for roughly the same price (>$40k), i have to hedge my bets on which I think will appreciate more, as in my opinion, if kept in their current condition, will no longer depreciate in value.

Mercedes: Mechanically and cosmetically perfect (essentially), two-owner, extremely low miles, desirable color combo, 2 fanatical owners, all books, services records, keys, etc., etc.

BMW: Last year of e46 M3 production, manual transmission, competition package, desirable color combo, hyper low miles, original owner, all records, and AS NEW.

Both cars, as they stand, could be placed directly on the museum floor of their respective manufacturers.

Whichever car is chosen, I will store in a climate controlled garage, and will drive >500 miles annually. They'll both be kept in perfect condition cosmetically and mechanically.

The car will be a 85% investment/15% pleasure acquisition.

The question: 20 years from now, when we're all passengers in autonomous electric transportation pods, which will be worth more???

I'm not looking for financial advice nor opinions on what to do with my money (or why I'm choosing to do this in the first place), I'm simply looking for educated viewpoints from knowledgeable enthusiasts like myself, who are very familiar with both of these models.

I look forward to everyone's thoughts and viewpoints on these two contemporary automotive masterpieces!!!
Appreciate 0