View Single Post
      10-02-2015, 02:06 PM   #18
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42pilot View Post
Is anyone else even a little creeped out about how much these cars rely on a computer? What if you take it to get serviced and the guy updates to the latest version and doesn't know you've coded and upgrade stuff? Or in 5 - 6 years, the base software is not supported by BMW any longer. Dunno - old school talking here. For me to change the rotors and pads on my SL550, I need to hook it to a computer first. Who will be able to afford these luxury cars outside of warranty?
It is pretty crazy how EVERYTHING is connected to the ecu with modern cars. I knew coding was part of the brakes but would have never thought it could have such a drastic impact on how they function. Everyone i asked thought I was nuts to think that coding will remedy my soft pedal issue because normally its caused by air in the lines.

In my case the code for the MP brakes is hard coded into the cars VO (vehicle order). This is what the dealers would do if they installed something like the M Performance Package Kit, MP Brakes, trailer hitch. They would hard code it to the ecu so even if your car comes in and needs a software update their system will look up the vehicle order and update the software according to what is installed on the car.

Alan