10-16-2017, 11:53 PM   #27
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky Mark View Post
Not to sound negative or anything, but lately for the past couple years, many people have been making a "business" of buying a brand new luxury car (Cayenne, X5, etc) and driving them right to the docks and selling them to be exported to China the same day as purchasing.

So there have been rules created to try and curb this.

I do not doubt it if when someone buys a new car like described above in certain areas (i.e. near port Newark or port San Diego) that such paperwork is presented at time of purchase to be signed.

I wouldn't think it would apply to used cars, but I could be wrong. Nonetheless, I would still not mention the intention of shipping to Asia.

I agree with you but that does not change the fact that once you pay in full for your vehicle, you can do whatever you want with it. The non-export agreement applies to vehicle while it's under lease agreement (or if financed, during the course of the finance period)

An example, when I was shopping for GLS from a dealer in PA, he told me the dealership is trying not to make deals with buyers out of state or who are not considered local, especially on the coasts. I am in NY and PA dealer who was recommended by a friend who got deep discounts, took a lot of convincing to even give me an offer. I told him I am willing to sign whatever he wants me to sign, or even bring the car to a dealer (a local one) and have them confirm back to MB financial or the dealer that car is in fact in the states and was not shipped overseas every 6 months for "Hello, I am here" confirmation.

He understood that I meant business and was not some random shipper, he gave me a deal. So it does happen and I agree, but I did ask BMW if I can ship the car overseas, he said it's no problem and I can ship it or sell or do whatever I want with it once I receive the title from them. In reference to custom plates, they also confirmed plates stay with me, but they require the vehicle to be re-registered w/DMV and that I can bring the plates back on the vehicle.

PS: Reputable shipping companies require the title matching the name of the shipper, of course there are shady ones who will stuff whatever you ask in a container and ship it, that's a different story.