View Single Post
      05-10-2023, 11:36 AM   #14
yupetc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 X535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoCali View Post
First off, thanks for taking time to detail this out and respond. Ok I think we're on the same page. Now I understand what you are describing.
I really do like the idea about pre-fitting the mounts and letting them ride down with the bracket rather than trying to nail both holes at the same time.
I did run into that issue when I attempted the job last time and had to abord due to clearance and essentially tried doing the same thing with just loose mounts. Now I feel stupid for not just throwing that nut up top to just lock them in place temporarily and let them hang as the engine is lowered.

my downpipe and everything else is stock. exhaust system is a fat sucker and takes up a lot of space. I don't have the cherry picker either, nor too much space in my garage to store bulky tools but I did have pretty good control last time with a regular jack. This time around i think i'll get some bottle jacks to create more space in general vs. a regular jack.
But cherry picker would be a great choice for this operation. having anything else under the car is definitely a space crowding problem but i was so darn close last time. i was like 1" short of taking them out. man, what a pain.
Just a slightly different design on the motor mount housing and it would've been a complete joke to swap them out. These types of things just piss me off about BMW design but it is what it is.

Thanks for the thoughts. I'll print this out and add it to my prep paperwork stash for the next run at it.

Again, I appreciate you taking time to write it all up in detail. 100% legit response, so thanks!
Not a problem at all. This is why we all visit forums. All the hidden tricks are here if we just look hard enough.

If you can't get a cherry picker, get this tool instead:
https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-l...hoCytwQAvD_BwE

Just be weary that our engine bay is on a slightly longer base than this hoist can reach, but with a little bit of finaggling and angle setting, you can still get it to coast and move your motor and and down by turning the hoist's swing nut. A bit slower, but can get the job done.
Appreciate 1