05-23-2017, 03:11 PM   #16
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
So let me ask you a question. Do you ride? If not, you won't understand. It's a different mindset than what is common among riders that cagers are usually at fault. But after having more training and realizing much of the risk of riding can absolutely be mitigated with enhancing my riding skills versus putting a Power Commander on a bike to get more horsepower or that extra chrome bling bling, I've changed my mindset to say I have a lot of control over the amount of risk I'm exposed to.

One thing I'll say and to address your 2 second comment. If he can't react to an adverse situation on the road quickly enough to avoid it, then he's riding too fast. One thing I can say is per the video, he was going a bit fast entering that section of traffic given the conditions. One of the things I do when I enter intersections with a lot of traffic is to cover my front brake. And if conditions warrant, slow a bit down.

I'm not talking as an arm chair quarterback. I'm talking from a basis of years of street and track riding along with years of being an EMS professional driving an emergency vehicle and having to react to bizarre behavior of other drivers on the road.
His choices were to go left onto the center divider and possibly go over and get hit by traffic going the other way or crashing into the minivan on the right. That is not his fault. Most humans would have not have the reactions to make a decision like this