View Single Post
      12-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #32
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladberca View Post
^ GLK has a recent facelift, but is still ugly!
ML is a complete new model, but the tail lights are horibble!
GL is a complete new model and looks good. It doesn't have a direct rival from BMW, but it's more expensive than ML so we can compare it with X6, so I don't think it has better sales

Back when the ML-Klasse was conceived it was to be known as the M-Klasse until BMW's R&D chief Wolfgang Reitzle went bat-shit crazy and stopped their deadliest rival from infringing on BMW's M cars.
Recently someone from Mercedes confided in me that had BMW not stopped Mercedes-Benz from using the M name - The GL would actually be the ML - L for longwheel base in which the both generation of GL are actually extended ML-Klasse models. The GLK was initially to use MLK - K is German for short .
Which would have given more consistency.

The recent Mercedes-Benz concept at the LAIAS is to show potential for their super-luxury SUV above the GL as Premium manufacturers resort to global market demand for super luxury SUV's as large premium sedans are declining in favour of SUVs.

The X5 now shows more understatedness with its evolutionary appearance as it will no longer be the flagship of the X line.