07-22-2015, 12:08 PM   #24
Blackhawks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
I, too, am concerned about the tint look matching from the outside when I take my X5 to a BMW recommended shop tomorrow.

I did not take notes, but I was told the factory rears on my X5 only tint at about 25%. However, if I go with 20% on the fronts apparently they would look uniform on the outside as the difference can be seen only from inside the vehicle.

I am reading forum threads trying to decide about tinting the sunroof and/or adding a windshield strip. Advice on all points would be welcome.

I think I had 20% on fronts of my 2012 X5 and I was happy with that.

Edited to add that my installer tells me he uses Johnson. When I asked about the windshield, he talked about something that would be rated at 77% and would not interfere with BMW electronics or my radar detectors. In terms of the sunroof, he suggested I go with the 'limo' tint.
I noticed the color variation the most when it was in a bright area with a white wall. I looked (from the outside of the car) through the rear and front windows (and at the white wall) at the same time... that gave me the most drastic look at the color difference.
Appreciate 0