08-28-2014, 01:32 PM   #23
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cy07 View Post
This is the part I don't get, every trim has "sport" AT, M sport just has an extra mode in Sport +. Are you saying sport + is so different from sport mode?
OK, now I see where the confusion is coming from… The "Sport mode" is on all models, yes. But the Sport Auto Transmission is not the same thing as just putting a standard 8AT in Sport mode. The Sport Auto has different software programming for faster shifts (and smoother, from what I've seen). The mechanical parts are the same, but the way they're programmed to work is different. In terms of the option codes when you build/order a car, they are different options, not just different driving modes.

So you have:

8AT - eco, comfort, sport
SAT - eco, comfort, sport, sport +

BUT, in those modes the programming is not the same from 8AT to SAT. Both are adjustable, but the software is completely different in the Sport Auto than the standard 8AT. It's not just about adding in Sport +. For example, an x-line in "Sport" will not shift as fast nor as smooth as the Sport Auto in Sport Mode.

Here's the verbiage from the bmwusa site on sport auto. The parts I put in bold are really what's different from the standard 8AT, since that too obviously has 8 gears..:

8-Speed Sport Automatic Transmission
Provides extremely fast synchronized shifting. By increasing the number of gears to eight, the transmission provides a more efficient shifting sequence and improved fuel economy. Includes Adaptive Transmission Control (ATC) with Sport and Manual shift modes and steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters. When in Sport mode, shifts can be generated via the console-mounted shift lever or the paddle shifters. The close spacing of the gear ratios of the optional 8-speed sport automatic transmission enables maximum use of the optimum rev range, significantly lowering fuel consumption and enhancing shift comfort.

Last edited by chrisny; 08-28-2014 at 01:47 PM..
Appreciate 0