View Single Post
      05-07-2015, 11:10 PM   #22
KMA
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 X6M,'07 M6Conv,'18 M3

Update: I have finally figured this out...

Objective: Since we have 2 old iPad 2's and a couple old iPhone 4's and an old Apple 30-pin to composite AV adapter, wanted to use iTunes purchased movies and Netflix in rear seat entertainment (RSE) as 2nd source that could be either played on 1 screen while a DVD played on other screen or fed to both screens, as needed.

Challenge/Problem: Video worked but no audio would play. This was very frustrating. Sometimes on the iPad 2, the audio would play through the iPad itself. iPhone 4, no audio on phone or through RSE.

Figured out the problem: The apple composite AV adapter also has a USB plug for power. If you plug it into the USB plug next to the composite AV inputs, it automatically disables the audio. While I considered this and had then tested moving to a power-only USB plug, audio did not work when I made the switch. Turns out that plugging into the one next to the AV jacks disables audio for good even if you switch jacks after (i.e., The only way to get the audio back is to swap around the audio selections--e.g., re-selecting them in the BMW menus... sort of like a reboot/cycle).

Anyway, so now this all seems a bit more logical and WORKS.

1 kid can watch a DVD

1 kid can watch an iTunes movie or Netflix show/movie

or both kids can watch the same of either one.

and there is some purpose for an old iPhone 4 other than sitting in a drawer!

P.S. Yes, this could all be done cheaper/eaiser with 2 iPads and no RSE, but now I have the iPhone 4 sitting in the center console, and there are no visible goodies like iPad's sitting in the car for would-be opportunist thieves to want to steal (Kids are young enough they aren't good at putting iPad's away every time we go somewhere, nor even necessarily wanting to gather them up and remember to bring them in the car).

P.P.S. Would I get the new RSE Professional again knowing how hard it is to use (i.e., can't really just hand the remote to the kids since they have to switch it from left to right control and navigate some german SAP-like menu hierarchies)? NO. But at least now it is usable having figured out the idiosyncrasies.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
cncmastr1590.00