View Single Post
      07-14-2014, 04:22 PM   #29
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Got it installed. Now, I know why they don't have pictures. It is not an easy plug 'n play system as the 3.5 engines...AT ALL. If you buy this, you will have to be really really good with power tools and hands that can get into tight spaces. There are two MAP sensors. beneath and just behind the front plastic piece. The total work time took us 50-60 minutes give or take because it took us 10 minutes to even locate the 2 map sensors. So, as far as service and warranty is concerned, I would not buy the 5.0i because you will be required to go into a shop if you're not good with power tools and it will definitely take you a good 30 minutes whether you remove or put it back in. I was charged $60.

I'll upload pictures and give my driving thoughts after a few days because there was a Drivetrain Malfunction service error - Maximum Output not available - Drive Moderately. I assume this is limiting the vehicle from achieving it's max power.

My mechanic is really really good- from a long generation of family mechanics. I watched him from start to finish as he worked on it and took pictures as he progressed. I even called the RaceChip tech because we changed the S2 settings to E based on your guys' suggestions. DO NOT DO THIS, lol. This is what threw the first Drivetrain Malfunction. The car would not throttle well at all and was giving very low power for all 3 modes (Eco, Comfort, and Sport). I took it back after driving 5 minutes, opened up the chip with him using the included torx tool and changed the S2 back to B as it was originally after talking to the tech from RaceChip. He said that's wrong information for the 5.0i chip - don't listen to people because they are wrong, lol. At the default settings (S1=1, S2=B), it is set for a reason for this particular chip apparently. The Drivetrain Malfunction error is still there and power is not outputting correctly, but this is supposed to correct itself after a few engine starts according to the RaceChip tech, which is why I will give proper feedback/results in a few days.

So far, not impressed/happy.

Last edited by opasha; 07-15-2014 at 04:19 AM..
Appreciate 0