View Single Post
      04-01-2018, 09:24 AM   #2
CT335xi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 m50i, 2005 evo 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Peaks View Post
A little history, I purchased my x5 used (Non-CPO but still under factory) about a month ago. There were some warranty related issues and covered service work that was required before the bumper/bumper expired.

*Here is where it is at by dates and concerns below that.
  • 3/25 - Dropped my "2014 x5 50i" off for final bumper/bumper service/warranty check. They gave me a loaner.
  • 3/26 - 4y/50k expired (I purchased a BMW Platinum extended warranty a couple weeks prior)
  • 3/27 - Dropped loaner off - they were supposed to be done on 3/28
  • 4/1 - No update on car status, they only had one service guy working and he had no notes on my car. He provided another loaner. Dealer still has the car.

Here are some of the issues that concern me and current responses below. There are other issues the car had that are being taken care of and not listed.
  1. Connected drive/internet/widgets worked a couple weeks ago, but it is not working anywhere now.
    Service Response: 3/30 - Advised that I work with BMW Genius at dealership
    BMW Genius at dealership Response: 3/30 - We will refresh/deactivate/restart the connected drive system when I pick the vehicle up.
  2. Seat controls (bolsters) : The motor in the seat controls make an abnormal/grinding sound and sometimes the button needs manually pressed repeatedly when it “tightens up” around my waist/ribs (20-way power Multi-contour front seats).
    Service Response: 3/27- This is normal
    Service Response: 3/27- I responded with "it is not normal"
    Service Response: 3/30 - BMW Genius at dealership stated that he checked this out in another customers vehicle and it sounded and behaved exactly like mine. i.e. the loud/obnoxious grinding and pressing and holding repeatedly.
  3. I have not seen the headlight cleansing feature work yet. Possibly does work but can’t confirm.
    Service Response: 3/30 - It is working but have not tested, lights must be set to auto and it activates every 3-4 cycles when using the windshield wipers.
  4. Rattling in either tailgate, 2nd row seats, or sunroof. I did mention in person that the rattle was extremely loud when going through a car wash so I believe the issue is the sunroof.
    Service Response: 3/30 - Service will look into the rattling in the tailgate/sunroof.
  5. Fuel economy has not went above 15.6mpg highway on eco mode from Pittsburgh, PA to Washington DC and back twice. The vehicle is listed at 15/22.
    Service Response: 4/1 - No response yet.
    BMW Genius at dealership Response: 3/30 - This is normal and to be expected on a 4.4 v8.
  6. The heat/a.c. set to certain temperatures with auto and sync on does not maintain temperature automatically.
    Service Response: 3/27 - It is working normally.
  7. Night vision/pdc mode often freezes for 1-3 seconds at a time. Also, night vision is crooked. It should be level with the vehicle/Road.
    Service Response: 3/27 - The night vision is working as it should.
    BMW Genius at dealership Response: 3/30 - This is normal, at certain speeds there is a delay in the feed/video.

There are a couple things that concern me and I would like to hear it from other 50i or similar optioned owners. I have this feeling that some of what I am being told is normal may not be like the seats getting worse to the point where people look at me sideways when I start the car and it slowly grinds around their body (Comfort access/memory). I feel like I should go check the car out and record video/pictures of the issues I am describing sometime this week just in case one of these components fail a day after I pick it up. I expect some of these concerns/issues on a base model Jeep after 4 years but not a 100k MSRP vehicle that was still under warranty as "normally operating". Please, correct me if I am wrong in my assumption.
  1. Should the seat bolsters make a loud leather rubbing + grinding sound, is that normal?
  2. Does the button that tightens up around the ribs require being pressed more than once to fully compress/tighten? (I am 160lbs by the way, not big at all)
  3. Is the fuel economy average in the 50i around 15.6 mpg when using eco mode?
  4. Does the auto + sync in heating actually reach the desired temperature? The first loaner I had was equipped with auto+sync and it reached the desired temperature in about 3-5 minutes.
  5. Does the night vision freeze/stutter when you are viewing it at low/high speeds?
  6. Should the night vision feed/stream be level in its orientation?
Sorry to hear your having some issues as I just picked up a cpo 2014 x5 50i with my warranty running until 10/19. I can comment on your fuel economy as it seems rather low if that was all highway commute , I’m seeing about 16-16.5 mpg with about 50/50 city + highway driving in comfort mode with some spirited driving here and there. Every week been monitoring it , getting about 300 miles to 18-18.5 gallons give or take. What did you pay for your extended warranty? Good luck
04 325xi, 91 gmc Syclone, 08 335xi, and 13 x3 35i msp
2014 x5 50i msport
Appreciate 0