08-03-2014, 09:15 AM   #25
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokenHands View Post
For someone who claims expertise in market segmentation, 325er must realise that the M3/M4 'purist' is merely one of many segments, is not representative of the entire market opportunity, meaning that in the last 5-7 years several profitable segments (some in niches) have emerged; and BMW are maximising rents (how's that for a technical term) by going after them with a structured portfolio and a highly modularised supply chain.

The M3/M4 is available for those who want it (by the way, very consumer grade).

As a shareholder, and someone who has owned and driven a wide range of their cars, I am glad BMW understands it's business and potential far too well to pander to purists. Enough said.
Well said...Growth from broader consumer segments funds "M" car development as well...That "purist" yet available to the masses M3/M4 is possible because of profit from X vehicles and soon to be offered FWD platforms as well.

If someone derives greater satisfaction and a Zen state of mind from a boutique, smaller brand buy a Porsche...Oh wait, never mind, they just launched the Macan and the Cayenne is their top seller