12-30-2015, 07:07 AM   #44
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
True winter tires only last 12k miles and they're very noisy. For me, the DWS is good enough in an AWD. I've traveled from KC to Vail many times with my E70 X5 with DWS, I'm confident the DWS06 is more than enough for my need in the X5M. DWS lasted more than 40k miles and is super quiet.

I know my stopping distance could be better with true winter tires. Using caution to slow down an X5 with DWS, I haven't had any issues even going down a steep hill and the Rockies.

It depends on where you live, most people in KC don't even switch out their tires in the winter. I don't want to have too much of a stopping advantage over them, because they will just plow right into me if I'm not aware of slippage during braking. So in a way, I don't want to stop faster than other idiots on the road. The DWS06 is king of all-seasons for the winter and good enough for Midwest area.

I will post a review of the DWS06 once some heavy snow hits.
In my experience that's not true. My Nokian winters (studless) are extremely quiet and the treadwear seems very good.
But I will say your winter set up looks excellent.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0