Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyracer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundown View Post
As a stop-gap, I picked up four Toyo GSi-5 winter tires in 275/315 for $500 (2016 DOT). They're aggressive and loud, but they're an incredible bargain. They're performed more than admirably. If anyone is looking for an inexpensive winter tire that will mount to the OE 20", give these a look.
Thanks for the tip! When you say you had OEM before, were they Pirellis? I'm curious how you would rate the Toyos compared to the Pirellis for:

- ride comfort
- snow traction
- ice traction
- handling
- noise

TIA.

BTW, congrats on the new acquisition. That JLR V8 is a peach of an engine. I got my X5M as a DD this past fall, after two Jags (XFR and XFR-S); a shame that that Jag no longer puts that engine in any of their sedans.
Would rate the GSi-5s as having better snow/ice/slush performance with marginally worse dry pavement handling and slightly noisier than the Pirellis. Would be similar to comparing the Pirellis to a Blizzak.

I never loved the Pirellis - already seemed like too much of a comprise toward dry handling.

The good news is that both the Nokian WGR4 and R3 will come in X5M sizes this fall. Sort of solves the rubber issue forever for this crowd.
Appreciate 0