View Single Post
      04-30-2014, 03:28 AM   #42
Zipforia
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Like many, I got rid of my useless cradle as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton View Post
I don't get the 'lack of space' thing..plenty of room for my gum and mint imperials and keep my sunny's in the door side pocket
For me, it's not so much the "lack of space." It's the fact that, when I want to grab something from the center storage, I have to open the center storage door, then lift up the unused cradle to get whatever I want/need to get. I don't know which side the center storage area the cradle is located in Europe, but in US, it's on the passenger side of the center storage area. It's more natural/ergonomic for me to open the passenger side center storage door and reach inside. But having the cradle on the passenger side makes it cumbersome to open the center storage door, then lift the cradle out of the way (making sure it doesn't fall back on me while I'm searching for something) when I have to find something. Also, if I open the driver side center storage door, it is awkward for an arm to search under the cradle. If the cradle was placed on the driver side, it would be a bit more ergonomic for an arm to reach over and under the cradle....but this is not the case.

Quote:
I have loaded my 'tunes' onto the hard drive.
I believe I speak for many when I say it is a hassle to update your HDD every time your music library grows/changes. Why do this if you can change your playlist just on the phone and can play that playlist anywhere without updating anything else?

Quote:
For me I wanted the convenience and safety of being able to easily charge the phone and not have any clutter around the car. FYI I used to have a 'hard shell' cover for my phone but got a leather cover which the phone easily slides in/out so that's not an issue either
My lightening cable is neatly looped and secured inside the center storage area. Only about 5 inches of the cable is extending out from the center storage area. As soon as I get in the car, the iphone's plugged in and sits inside the cubby hole diagonally. To me, this sounds more convenient than having to take the phone out of a case, then opening the center storage door, and securing it into the cradle. Also, I use BMW Apps as well. In order to do so, the app has to be launched from the phone. I would find it more convenient to have to phone outside of the cradle than having to access the phone inside the center storage area to launch the app.

After researching the cradle, I found out that the only benefit of using the cradle vs. lightening cable is the passive cellular signal extension to the shark fin antenna. If there were more benefits, such as better app control, additional phone integration, etc., then I would be inclined to keep the cradle and buy the adaptor. However, if the only gain is passive cellular extension to the shark fin antenna, I felt it wasn't worth it. But I suppose to each's own.

Z.
Appreciate 0