View Single Post
      10-17-2017, 07:18 PM   #498
Stev_chu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by robyn4323 View Post
I am the proud owner of two BMW X5, at least I was until Friday the 13th. My 2001 has over 250K miles on it and my teenager still drives it. In January 2015, I purchased a new X5 35d (diesel) model. It has the N57T engine. The car has 65K miles on it (yes, I drive alot) but the reason I purchased the 35d is because diesels are supposed to last forever and they get better mileage that gas models. I have had no engine issues with this vehicle until Friday. I am religious about maintaining the vehicle under the extended maintenance program, but I'm now out of 4/50 warranty. In any event, traveling down freeway when I step on gas to pass a car to the left. The X5 hiccups and a "drive train malfunction" message comes on the screen. The car loses power and dies as I luckily hit a pocket without traffic and coast over to the shoulder. I'm lucky I didn't die because it was during rush hour and I was on I-85 in Atlanta. In any event, car is towed to dealer and I get estimate this morning for just under $15K to repair - yep $15K! Dealer says the entire fuel system was damaged when the High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) failed and sent metal shards through the system. All injectors, indeed the entire system must be replaced according to them. I have called BMW NA to ask for Goodwill assistance to repair but was wondering if anyone else has experienced this or was aware of this type of failure. A fuel pump failure should not require replacement of the entire system! And this fuel pump should not be failing at 65K miles! Thanks!
Talking about reliability..I?m sorry to hear this and glad that you?re safe from it..I have a 50i hopefully it can serve me better
Appreciate 0