View Single Post
      07-15-2014, 08:20 PM   #59
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
None taken at all. He has rather large hands and seems to like working with more space. I could fit my hands in there and probably wiggle the plugs if I tried. We just didn't know initially where the sensors were. He couldn't see them without removing the bar, so that's why he did it. From his perspective, I guess he wanted to be safe than sorry in case something snagged or got pulled...then he would be responsible. You make valid points. I'm going to try the dummy plug now and see if it helps. The instructions are straightforward; I actually followed them as I told him what it said and what we were looking for when we started. The 5.0i layout is just very different from the the 3.5 engines. Which color wire did you use? Did you use the same red striped wire? I was given two of them - a red one and a pink one. See my pics in the first page. Thanks for your post .

Also, regarding the DUMMY PLUG guys...I just plugged it in. Do I leave the car off? What should I do after I plug in the dummy plug? Do I remove it and then put that plug back into the TUNE CHIP?

Nevermind, tried both methods. Method 1) Car was off while I went out of town this afternoon. I came back home popped the hood, locked the car, removed the plug harness from the tune chip and plugged the dummy plug into the plug harness. Then removed it and plugged the harness back into the Tune Chip. Drivetrain Malfunction starts up with the engine. Method 2) I waited a few minutes, popped the hood, locked the car, and this time I put the dummy plug into the plug harness and kept it that way, turned on the engine, Drivetrain Malfunction still present, but the engine power sounded much less as if it was suffocating or powering down, so I immediately turned the engine off after 30 seconds of listening to it. I plugged the plug harness back into the tune chip and closed the hood. So basically, something is definitely screwed up.
You would have to leave the dummy plug in the box when you start up the car. It overrides whatever the tune delivers.

They sent you two different harnesses because 50i and 35i use two different types of plugs on 2014 cars. I was chatting with a BMW engineer from Spartanburg about this. Apparently, the manufacturer of those plugs did not deliver the quality BMW wanted and they had to switch the source and type of plugs mid year.
Once you unplug your harness you will see what type is yours and you have to match it to either 4720 or the other one....I dont remember the number.
If your DT Mal does not go away with the dummy plug in then the install is wrong.
Take a picture of your box with the dummy plug in and make sure the plastic clip is all the way in.
I just tested it on my truck and it works fine.