View Single Post
      02-05-2014, 07:08 AM   #2
Michiganian
Private
Rep
Drives: Current:Z4

35i vs. 35d

1. Maintenance/repair cost: Which is more expensive on Mx/Repair?
2. Maintenance Program Upgrade: $2,295 worth to purchase? or cheaper to maintain w/o it?
3. Resale value: Which has better resale value (in US)?
4. Any turbo/accerelation lag on 35d? I test drove ML350 Diesel. There was noticiable lag.
5. Is the quality/durability of X5 good enough to own it for long years? (10yrs).

I have ordered a 35d, so I will share my thinking, and will know a lot more after the car actually arrives...lol
1) very hard to say, but, like you, I keep my cars a long time (currently have a 2003 Z4 that has 130,000 and which has had very few maintenance issues), but am a boater and diesels always have had better resale for their durability and superior gas mileage. I agree with you, the current 10% premium over premium gasoline combined with the 20-25% better gas mileage probably means a long payback period for the added fuel economy.
2) I have been led to believe that the price for the extended maintenance program does not go up very much if you just wait until closer to the time when regular warranty expires, and so you can invest the money you don't spend now, and buy it later.
3) relative resale value of diesel versus gas years down the road--no idea, but logic would say yes, especially if gasoline prices are higher and therefore added fuel economy worth more to new buyer
4) I test drove other BMW diesels and didn't notice much lag
5) As I mentioned, of course depends on how much and how hard you drive it, but in a southern climate, I can't imagine why you would get at least 10 virtually trouble free years.