View Single Post
      06-22-2017, 11:30 AM   #37
fbsm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 4wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Update: went to test drive the 2018 Audi Q5, 17 Lexus F Sport, and 17 BMW X1 yesterday, in that order. All had AWD.

Audi Q5: liked the size, composed, good grip and comfortable. Road noise was almost nonexistent. The interior is simple but luxurious. Seats are nice and has decent room. Cargo is a bit small. The rear middle seat isn't good but it's not bad. That hump in the middle due to the drivetrain is really big, high and awkward. Panoramic moonroof was well designed. Overall, I liked it quite a bit. According to the latest report, Audi's reliability is top not notch so I don't think that's a concern. Probably the most expensive option due to it being a new model thus no incentives.

Lexus RX: the largest of the 3. Well appointed and supple interior. The rear seats could slide and recline about 20* which is much more than the Q5 and X1. They are very comfortable; so much so that my gf and brother said they could fall asleep while I was test driving. That leads to the next point: it is very boring to drive. Perhaps I haven't had a big vehicle in years but the entire time I kept thinking "how large this vehicle is." Even with the backup camera it felt big. The panoramic moonroof was a bit awkward as it didn't extend all the way back. It's kind of in between the front seats and the rear seats. The RX offers the best value of the 3 and is very reliable. Overall, the size, drive, and handling are making me rethink it as I will be living with the car for a long time.

X1: handsome exterior, was quick, handled really well. It had the firmest seats out of the 3 and probably the least luxurious interior as well. I like the size which felt similar to the Q5. Worst value for the money as it doesn't come standard with leather or safety features that are standard on the RX and Q5. I like the simplicity of BMW's interiors but they are starting to look very dated (brother and gf liked exterior but not interior). Has good cargo room and good amount of rear seats room. Panoramic moonroof is well integrated. Overall, while a good size and the best handling of the 3, it's the least comfortable of the 3 and that rather defeats the point of a family hauler.

As it stands, it not comes down to the Q5 and RX. If money were no object and if I ignore the lack of cargo room and that giant middle hump on the rear floor, I would buy the Q5 today. I will sleep a bit more on it as both the RX and Q5 are not perfect, thus requires one to think about what compromises one can live with.
Wouldnt the X3 be more comparable to the Q5 and RX than the X1?

The X3 is a fundamentally different car than the X1....particularly wrt handling

I have a friend who has the Audi....she came out of an X3 and she complains non stop about how shitty the Audi is in the snow...and she has snows on it in winter
Appreciate 0