View Single Post
      03-05-2018, 02:05 PM   #2
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1000 View Post
My kids want to hook up the xbox one with a small screen for a roadtrip.

The cigarette lighter circuit are 20am circuits, right, so would give me 240Ws? Is that enough to power a small screen and an xbox one?

Anybody having tried this, I was thinking a small portable screen mounted behind a headrest. Recommendations on screens?
I'm a used addict player (played everything from ZX Spectrum to nowadays). I never did it in the car, but if you look at your xbox one power brick (charger) it says 5A at 120V - which roughly will be 600W (probably peak power, but you never know when it will demand that power - so it's better to have that much available).
So cigarette lighter socket will not have enough to power xbox one (and monitor on top of that). Just run a simple (thick enough gauge - 8awg wire should suffice) wire directly from battery to rear seats and you shall be good! Thankfully we have battery in the trunk - just if BMW was designing it for easy computer gaming lol - so it should be an easy work.

And use a good inverter - to have plenty of headroom go with 800W one and you shall happily game as long as you want. It won't consume that much in reality so unless your kids are going to game for more than an hour when engine is off - you shouldn't worry too much about it

P.S. As for screen - depends what size screen you want? A good 15 inch monitor will be enough for both kids to watch it comfortably (btw driver or passenger seat in x5 has width of about 19 inches - just for comparison, so that 15 inch screen won't stick outside of seat contours if you are worried about ergonomics). Like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Performance-P...P7AY3T0TM513J8

It has a 1/4 inch screw mount that you can use with this to mount it on headrest: http://www.chargercity.com/-ChargerC...712-p-558.html

If you think that screen is too big than there's bunch of smaller screens 10 or 13 inches, any will do as long as they have hdmi and 720p/1080p resolution, but you will have to match them with proper headrest holder

Last edited by DuSh; 03-05-2018 at 03:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
SpeedN866.00