Thread: Blown Motor
View Single Post
      05-31-2014, 12:14 PM   #13
bluelodge400
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 X5M-C, '19 Cayenne Turbo

Thank you for the support! I will keep everyone updated during this process. I have never had to deal with problems on a new vehicle like this and I’ve never lemon’d one before. This should be an interesting experience.

I would definitely get another X5. There’s not much I don’t like about it and I am more than happy with it when it’s not in the shop.

To answer a few questions.

For why I continued driving: I was 2.5 hours from home and an hour from my destination. From what I have been told (please correct me if I am wrong) but BMW Roadside Assistance tows you to the nearest dealer, they will not tow me 2.5hours hours home, or to my destination. I had no intention of spending the night in Sacramento when I would lose my reservation at the hotel I had booked an hour or so away(this was the weekend I was proposing to my GF, everything was setup in Tahoe to do this and I was not about to change my plan over a DM light!). I called another BMW dealer and asked to talk to a service tech. He informed me the vehicle was in limp mode and that as long as the vehicle was not running rough and the check engine light was not blinking, I should not have a problem and to continue on.
When I called my current dealer the following Monday to make an appointment I asked if it was ok to drive while I waited until my appointment. I was informed, yet again, that it was ok to drive and not to worry. Outside of BMW SF, 2 other dealers said it was alright to drive if the DM light was on.

Why it should be lemon'd: By the time I get it back at the end of next week, IT WILL HAVE BEEN IN THE SHOP FOR ALMOST 60 days!!! I work 6 to 7 days a week, I do not have the time to deal with taking this vehicle in every time there’s a problem. I do not think I am being unreasonable. Maybe some people have a lot more free time than I do. I just don’t want to be spending the little time I do have constantly bringing it into a dealer.
Also, I should be getting my full money’s worth for a vehicle that I paid for. I understand things go wrong from time to time, I have leased dozens of vehicles over the years, but this particular X5 has been in the shop more times in the last 5 months then the last 5 cars I have had combined.

New Problems:
Running very rough during idle.
There is much more exhaust back pressure than usual. Constant load popping sounds should not be coming from the exhaust(I understand a little popping is normal, but this is pretty loud and constant).
There is a fuel pump problem.
The front camera is not working.
Emergency breaking is not functioning.
This is just to name a few.

Past Problems:
Coolant Pump Replaced
Steering column replaced
Exhaust Manifold Leak
Vanos Solenoid replaced
Intake and Exhaust Solenoids Replaced
Broken Door Panel Clips(very minor compared to the other issues!)
There are a few more but these are the ones I can remember.

After all this, am I still being unreasonable and should not have this vehicle replaced under the lemon law?
Appreciate 0