Thread: Blown Motor
View Single Post
      09-03-2014, 12:17 PM   #19
bluelodge400
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 X5M-C, '19 Cayenne Turbo

Sorry for the long delay in posting. I have been waiting to write my update until I had absolutely everything sorted out and the new car was in the driveway.

The Lemon process is actually very easy. BMWNA lemoned the car within a week and half after our first conversation.

Here is how the process works.
You first have to call BMW Customer Service, they take your information and then forward your call to the customer resolution department. After you tell them the same thing you told customer service, they have someone from the Executive Department call you back after looking over your information. At that point, your case is assigned to a person in the executive department. That person gets in touch with the regional rep in your area and they both look over your service history, warranty problems and what the lemon laws for your state consist of. At that point, they email you to tell you if they will buy back your vehicle or not. This was the easy part!(Hope that wasn't too confusing!)
I did not need to contact or hire a lemon law attorney but I did go over everything with an attorney who is a very good friend.

For CA, the lemon law is very straight forward and consumer friendly. The only downside in CA, the manufacture can and will charge .70cents a mile for all the miles driven until you bring it in to the dealer for the first problem related to the Lemon Issues. That .70cent number is much higher than the federal .56 cent write-off figure. In my case, I had roughly 4,000 miles on the odometer.

As for what’s been the biggest pain.in.the.ass: It was getting another X5 ordered. My dealer did not have any allotments to order a new X5 and had to do a dealer trade. When my new 2015 X5 came in, BMW NA was not offering or running any promotions for the X5 and the residual went to hell. The dealer wanted $190+ more a month on the lease. Morally, I did not feel right paying much more than what I was currently paying. (Both the 2014 and 2015 had the exact same options, MSRP only went up $300). After a lot of negotiating back and forth, the dealer finally agreed to a price I was comfortable with, which was $41.00 more a month than what I was currently paying.

I still have the 2014 X5 until next week. All kinds of new issues have shown up while I waited for the 2015 to arrive. The alarm randomly goes off, the gas gauge stopped working, check engine light is lit up, on occasion the upper tailgate will not auto-close and the exhaust manifold leak seems to be getting worse(I do enjoy the louder exhaust note!).

It’s been a fun 8 month adventure and I never knew what’s going to happen next, kinda like dating a crazy bitch! But now it’s time to move on to something more stable and dependable. So far, I am loving the 2015 X5 and I am sure it will give me a lot less problems.
Appreciate 0