alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
If you search around, there are several people that say the OEM one sucks and wish they didn't get it.
In case the OP is wondering why the OEM one sucks, here is the square receiver attachment. Look how it pokes out. And it's only rated to 3500 lbs. If you want perspective, I can mount a Thule bike rack to this square receiver and the trunk can be open and closed without me having to remove bikes nor swing the rack away.

If you want to really tow, you need to get this attachment. This one is a Class III rated to 6000 lbs. This however I think is BMW being conservative. It's solid steel; should work fine to the 7700 lbs that the vehicle can tow. Notice the proprietary attachment to the car.

Basically there are better options. And this contraption, even though I think they intended to be hidden when not in use, is definitely not hidden from view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
hitch itself sucked and left marks on my bumper from taking the hitch part on and off even though I was careful
Just curious, does yours have the foam pads at the edge of the receiver tube to prevent the scratching?
Appreciate 2