02-18-2016, 08:40 AM   #18
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGetGriff
Right to the point:

- I live in Beverly Hills, do about 90% city driving.
- I have an F80 M3 now & it's simply frustrating having such a fast car & not being able to go fast anywhere.
- MPG's don't matter too too much to me.
- The power of the 50i would be awesome, but is it that necessary?
- The exhaust note on the 50i is incredible.
- I don't know if theres a difference in ride quality.

The lease is about $200 less for the loaded 35i, I drove the two but they only had a base 50i, and an M Sport 35i so you could imagine the difference.
Is there any other significant difference?
I know exactly what you mean.

Driving around the Boroughs of NY, traffic is always moving between 10 MPH to 30 MPH. That is typical highway speed for about 16 out of the 24 hours for the day. It can be quite frustrating when wanting to feel what the 50i is capable of.

When I had my 09 X6 35i, it was perfect for city driving at the time because of the slightly better gas mileage at the time when 93 octane was pushing 5 dollars a gallon. Then, when I picked up the 650 GC, I knew that I would eventually end back up in an X6, but the power of the V8 is captivating, even if it's only used a few times a year when I decide to venture past the city limits.

Now,i have my '16 X6. I know my X6 50i is WAY over powered for city driving so it is my humble opinion that a 35i or the diesel version will be enough for city driving. However, knowing that you have more than enough power available at your right foot (even in comfort this thing can move) that peace of mind is worth the extra couple hundred bucks a month.

My vote is, get the 50i if your budget allows it. The only thing you will be disappointed with is the limited amount of space around you for those horses to play. If you go for the 35i, you will not have peace of mind and probably sink slightly in your seat every time you see an MB SUV or Cayenne pull up beside you.

I know badges and numbers don't mean much when moving in heavy traffic at slow speeds, but I can almost guarantee the drivers of those vehicles will be sizing you up.

I for one, can't have them sizing me up, without holding my head up high knowing that even though we have no room to play, my 50i is ready for the competition, lol.