View Single Post
      08-18-2016, 06:49 AM   #1
GladiatorOwner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M4C

Winter tires using OEM 21s...Pirelli are the only options, no longer are the Dunlops

Posted this in another thread but figured I would just start my own to see what the "tire fitment gurus" in the forum think....?

Have had dedicated summers/winters for the last few years to deal with my previous M5/M6 whips during winter in the northeast. Figured I would try a different approach and just use OEM wheels and swap tires for the change in seasons.

Ok so I've been comparing the Pirelli Scorpion Winters vs the Ice and Snows. The winters appear to be superior to the RFTs (snow/ice). In 21s only for this discussion. Looking at that tool for fitment located on rimsntires.com, it looks like we can do the 285/40s and 295/35s??? The only issue is that it adds about 3 mph to the speedo but oem sizes are already add around a 3 mph higher reading anyway. So if you run these, you just need to be aware of approx. 5 mph diff (higher) in speed readings. You get the superior tire that is better in snow and cold (according to their own website info) fills the well better, has a higher sidewall, is non RFT and can be used with our 21 inch rims. Oh and they are less pricey by quite a bit. Also, you cannot do 285s in rear since we have 11.5 in rim so only 285/295....... Thoughts? Am I reading this right???

Other option is the Dunlop 3D winters in 275 all around but their load and speed reading are not the best. They can be used but I'm currently thinking the pirellis for this time around. Btw I've used dunlop winters on my previous Ms and they are a very good tire for winter (my experience anyway) in light snow and cold temps.

Last edited by GladiatorOwner; 08-21-2016 at 08:59 AM..
Appreciate 0