Drives: 2011 E82 135i, 2015 F15 X5 35D

Garage List
2020 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha
Quote:
Originally Posted by TZANIDO777 View Post
So if we have the new firmware can we simply downgrade to an old firmware and code our cars or is it still not possible to code the cars with the newer firmware? ( Besides the VO coding of course)
The latest 55.1 is not codeable unless there is some sort of successful downgrade procedure as performed by oshevtsov's coder friend or some other way of reading the code. I will look into this further, but as of right now, those of you on 55.1 don't really have any options. Coding is nearing its death bed, and many of us are struggling to keep it alive.

My recommendation:

1) Only visit dealers for service you absolutely need
2) If number 1 is something that is urgent and happening often, then establish some sort of relationship/way for them not to update your software - I know Shawn said this is not possible because there is a mandatory software update procedure they must follow, but there's always a loop hole somewhere even if it's very very slim.
3) If you have retrofitted a 6WB in a region where ISTA/P dealer software cannot read it yet, do not remove it. It will protect you from software updates. Only do this if you don't have any sort of vehicle malfunctions - most of the time, they will need access to your vehicle software if you have random errors where the ECU must be reset/read/coded etc. If you have oil changes and other regular "physical service" where software updates are not needed, keep the 6WB in.
Okay thank you for clearing that up. Hopefully a successfull downgrade can be figured out so we do not lose the ability to code our cars.
Appreciate 0