01-06-2015, 11:26 PM   #32
BMW06
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
Yes, this is the clearest description so far, although we can't tell since that's coming from Euro specs.
And now that I read a bit further into what BWM website has for X5 clearly states "priming the brakes" and does not mention actually applying them. So it could be preparing the brakes like right at rubbing so that the moment you touch them there is no delay and it's instantaneous. Since ACC does have active braking on cruise, it is ready for the actual brakes in case of someone slowing down in front of you, however it is still not clear if this function works with you have the ACC off or if you are not crusing.

Bottom line: Don't get DA+ expecting to read newspaper and assume BMW will brake for you. It will just nag you to look up before you end up on top of whatever you have in front of you. Sort of like "Watch how I am going to rear end that fool who just stopped short"
Found this is from BMW USA site, which clearly explains what Active Driving Assistance does. which includes 4 features:
Lane Departure Warning, Forward Collision Warning, Pedestrian Warning, and City Collision Mitigation.

"Active Driving Assistant brings the latest safety technologies to drivers with features like Lane Departure Warning, Forward Collision Warning, City Collision Mitigation and Pedestrian Protection.
Lane Departure Warning alerts the driver when he or she is about to exit a lane unintentionally or when approaching the curb. The driver is alerted by a vibration in the steering wheel so drivers can respond accordingly. Forward Collision Warning prevents collisions by warning the driver when approaching a vehicle ahead too quickly. The driver is alerted by an optical warning and an additional alarm. In addition, City Collision Mitigation prevents collisions by automatically braking, even at speeds of 37 mph or more. Pedestrian Protection has the same functionality but specifically prevents pedestrian collisions.
"

Source - http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ty.aspx?Id=687
Appreciate 0