01-14-2015, 03:15 PM   #37
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellpicker View Post
I do not have ACC but all the electronics are there for Frontal Collision Warning. The green ring (security button) is green, the icons are all activated, The required speeds 3-38 are followed but no warning. ACC is not required for the FCW system. Dealer says I don't have a problem but the system doesn't appear to work. It won't light up like the videos, it doesn't stop the car before I hit someone or something. I understand that VOLVO has a crash tester barricade for their cars. Has anyone heard of it.
It is not supposed to stop if you don't have ACC.

After multiple tries to get it activated, I found the best way to test FCMS:

Try at your own risk, if you are not confident, please do not attempt.
Safely put the vehicle in N while moving, as you approach a vehicle that is stopped. Make sure you are going slow about 5-6mph as you come close to the other vehicle, hit the gas (once again, make sure you are in Neutral gear before you do that). As your vehicle slowly rolls closer to the stopped vehicle, you will see that first red car icon will appear on dash or HUD if you have it, then it will start beeping like crazy, then the moment you touch the brakes, literally just barely put your foot on the brake pedal, the vehicle will come to a complete stop. No slow-down, just a major halt, so you make sure that your passenger is ready for that (if you have anyone else in the vehicle).

I think the Collision mitigation activates fully when it senses you are speeding up when you are supposed to be slowing down. It doesn't work that well when you are braking already or when you are just coasting. It is sort of hard-wired to acceleration pedal + proximity sensors, regardless of speed.