View Single Post
      11-09-2022, 12:40 PM   #10
yupetc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 X535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
Looks like even in tough times police budget is increasing in Houston, because of federal assistance. Can you link to where you are getting your info on cuts to Houston PD?

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/a...-plug-deficit/

I may be wrong with my info because I'm pulling this info from my head and it's all coming from the radio I listen to from my daily commute to and from work. 30 minutes on the road and listening to radio gets me to believe everything I'm saying has some basis. I surely had no idea the budget is actually been increased for HPD. But I gotta say, even with this budget increase, Houston's crime has been on a rampant rise. I work in the East Downtown area and just on my work premises, we've gotten theft twice and a catalytic converter incidence once on this year alone. Building across the street has their contractors' work truck broken into to steal a tool bag, twice, this year. I also often run errands for tooling and parts, at Northern Tools, I've arrived twice at their parking lot, observing some pissed off customers calling for HPD because their window got smashed into; I didn't budd into those incidences so I don't know what valuables were stolen. Those are late last year. I'm only traversing the area a little bit, and seeing some theft incidents is considered quite frequent for me. Before COVID times, I've almost never heard of any incidents. I feel criminals are becoming more, and they are desperate these days. So it leads me to think that our Police budget isn't sufficient enough to keep the place safe. I get to go home to a very nice suburb neighborhood, despite the danger I see around work. Houston is quickly changing, and a lot of run-down places are being leveled and rebuilt into something new. So I hope this movement will slowly drive crime out and upgrade the area.

BTW, Houston Astro's just won the Championship. And yesterday we've had a huge parade going on. And this morning, also on the radio, we're hearing that hundreds of Toyoto's, specifically Tundra models got their Catalytic Converters cut in a one-day parking lot run. Tons of people came downtown yesterday, so within a certain radius we park our cars. I guess they just go cherry-pickin and the loot is quite good.
Appreciate 0