View Single Post
      08-06-2017, 05:00 PM   #2
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayatthebeach@yahoo.com View Post
Hi all, Im new to forum (and BMW). Just got a new 2017 X5 35i s drive. Im not content with the power plant. Ive been reading about some boost controllers, like dinan, and also about MPPK, and also, something in conjunction with MPPK?

What is the starting point to get more power going without tripping check engine lights, or voiding warranty? I read on BMW site that MPPK brings it from 300 to 320hp? is that worth $1,000, when the dinan says it will bring it to 360hp for $2,000?

Also, I'd like to get some decent sounding exhaust, id like to hear it while under load, but not at cruise. any ideas on this as well? Also, will exhaust add any ponies?

Also, any other easy or inexpensive mods that anyone suggests that seem to be a big bang for the $ ?

Also, anyone have insight on whether towing with this vehicle is a good idea? Im thinking about installing a hitch for the occasional towing of my Harley hauler/enclosed 14' aluminum trailer. 3-4,000 lbs roughly. I only ask because i worry that it would over-heat the turbos or something?

Any advice would be appreciated.
For exhaust you may want to look into MPE (it's OEM and won't void your warranty) it sounds noticeably nicer than stock exhaust
Exhaust will add a few ponies, but you won't notice it (if I'm not mistaken BMW states around 5hp increase at max rpm), so it's mainly for sound upgrade and not for adding power

For power I would suggest Dinan to keep warranty or if money is an issue - then look into piggybacks that you can add and take off if need be before going to a dealer

To be completely honest with you, 35i is not the powerplant to be "content" as you said (50i is more like it), but you already bought 35i and it's too late now - gotta work with what you have

As for towing, your 4000lbs shouldn't be a problem as many forum members tow on 35i bigger loads like this pic below roughly 6000lbs. Hopefully someone will chime in and correct me, but IMHO it's transmission that gets all the stress during towing and specifically it needs to have oil cooler (now I'm not sure if extra oil cooler for tranny comes standard or with tow pakcage only from BMW by default), but for occasional towing you should be just fine
Attached Images

Last edited by DuSh; 08-06-2017 at 05:08 PM..
Appreciate 0