jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
Don't feel bad, 35i is a great engine still and a LOT more reliable than 50i
I changed valve cover gasket in n52 once and I think n55 (35i) is more or less same - relatively easy to work on and not as expensive to maintain, but I wouldn't even know where to start if something goes wrong with n63tu (50i). I basically live knowing that if something goes wrong after warranty - I'm done - as it will be cheaper to finance new vehcile than come up with $20k for 50i engine repair

P.S. if power is what you are after - there' always a way to install a aftermarket turbos on your 35i - as size of turbos is #1 bottleneck on that engine. I would assume tho, since you have a new x5 it makes no sense to void warranty. Maybe after it expires, if you'll want to keep the car and make it fast
Where do get 20K for engine repair? Exaggerate much?

I have the non-TU N63 in my E70, a less reliable motor than that in the F15, and I've spent close to nothing on it in the past 3+ years since purchasing it used. Basically been bulletproof.

Definitely agree the N55 is a great motor, but OP is bummed out on its power output and sound, and questioning its towing potential. You can rag on the N63 all u want, but it sounds to me it would have been a better choice for OP.
Appreciate 0