08-07-2017, 09:28 PM   #15
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
Hey man, I agree with you that we only mainly see threads when somethings goes wrong and hopefully you are right that n63tu is a reliable engine (knock on the wood). I'm just summarizing what I've read on various forums. One of them - 7 series for example: they have had lots of n63tu replacements due to bad valve steam seal: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=900367

As soon as warranty is up, a replacement engine n63tu will cost around $20k - that is also taken from delaership bmw pricing during engine replacement

I just really hope that in grand scheme of things percentage of faults is low. As for OP, I already said exactly what you said - 50i would have been a better choice for him

Cheers
Yessir, cheers!

I don't visit the 7 series forums, but frequent the X5 (E70 & F15) forums fairly frequently. Never heard of any X5 owner needing a full engine replacement? The biggest repair, and it's not that common, is the valve guide seals, a $9K fix if go through the dealer. Per my SA, that's the biggest/worst of the repairs with the N63.

I also own an E90 M3, which comes with the rod bearing issue. If those fail, a replacement motor is needed, 10K-25K depending on engine details (not super common, but way more common than N63 replacement). I couldn't even imagine going through that, so I had my rod bearings replaced.
Appreciate 1
DuSh2113.50