02-28-2021, 08:04 PM   #27
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
agreed, but if you adjust the eq you'll find the sweet spot. the L7 in the RR and RRS are much different and the opposite of what i have found in the bmw vehicles. too much bass and not enough highs or mids sadly on the 2011.5+ l320 they ruined the audio because they added an electric hatch and they had to futz with the amp and the sub to make it all fit in the same area. the trade-off was now you have an electric trunk but a "premium" audio system that sounds like your generic blows (bose) system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
Exactly. I was also prepared to opt for the BO, but after listening to both, I couldn't justify it. With typical sources like ACC, MP3, and FM radio, I really couldn't tell much of a difference. If you are an audiophile listening to higher quality sources, I suppose the BO would sound good in your driveway, but road noise is going to nulify the very small advantage over HK. $3700 was just too much of a price to pay, in my opinion, unless there was an obvious advantage, and I just couldn't hear it.
i am not sure if something is wrong with your vehicle if you're having so much road noise that it drowns out your audio equipment. secondly on any system using fm or compressed audio you're not going to get top quality however if you listen to cd or flac you will hear the differences very clearly. i wasn't a believer of a $6300 radio option until i experienced it and then i had to have it in every Q7 it was offered in that i owned. if you put on pink floyd's "money" you can hear every little sound in the song. over 400 hours went into that system and it was done to that one song as a baseline then fine tuned around other various songs from different genre. they took it one step further for the 4M Q7. the first time around a system was designed to fit something that had a conventional radio system. this time around the vehicle's design and the b&o's design were done together (similar to volvo and b&w). the two were built to compliment each other and create one of the best audio systems out currently. the r&d was done with fraunhofer... these are the folks that are famed for inventing the mp3 and the system now is designed to have better audio using compressed media and not having everyone go to flac which is a less popular format.

the top of the line meridian that rr offers with 1700w is insane and clear all the way to the very end of the volume range. it is probably the top dog in the industry (that i have heard in person and in my opinion), the volvo xc90 b&w system is the value and the best system available in that price range on a vehicle in that segment. the b&o found on the x5 is worth every penny but as stated before it's lacking in some areas but overall i am extremely pleased.

my father was a recording engineer up to the day he retired. i grew up around audio equipment. he said "you're a damn fool for buying a $6300 radio for the car... home audio equipment that is far better can be had for a fraction of the price." when i took delivery of the car and he finally heard it he said "i can see why you bought but this but i would never." but he also drives a ten year old car and hardly spends any time in it except to go to the gym and visit family.
DSP has a lot to do with the audio in a car. If you can get the B&O equalization on your car, even with HK speakers it will sound better. Given the size of the speakers are the same, the only thing you will miss is some power and with B&O you get the tweeter placement that gives the sound a brighter texture.

I am saying this with someone with B&O on my F15. The out of the box HK equalization is really bad. Makes it sound a bit muffled. I have equalized a friends X5 with HK and it sounds better post settings for the music he likes to hear. Neither the B&O on the F15 or B&W on the G05 are anywhere near audiophile speakers - at least what audiophile quality gear sounds like at home. Mark Levinson in a Lexus RX and what you can get for your home isn't in the same league. IMHO. Save the $.
Appreciate 0