View Single Post
      01-30-2015, 02:14 PM   #1
xdriverx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 35i Xdrive

My door was scratched up/vandalized (what are my options?)

So the other morning I went to get in my car and noticed scratch marks on my driver side door. These marks were in an unusual tic/tac/toe or (#) pattern which leads me to believe that someone did this on purpose. Why? I have no idea. It really sucks, but that's what happens when you live in NYC and park your car on the streets.

Anyway, I would rather not put an insurance claim in as my wife had an accident last year and don't want another loss showing up on my claims history (I'm an insurance broker). This would be a comprehensive loss and my deductible is $500.

I went to a local, respected body shop and the guy said he would have to paint BOTH doors (front and back on drive side) because the scratch is too close to the rear door. He says it's the only way to make sure the paint matches and blends properly. He quoted me a figure of about $800.00. Which to me sounds insanely high for a paint job. But anyway.

I'm wondering if any of you have any advice or know of any shops in the NYC area that would do a good job for a decent price.

Here are pics of the door with the damage:

Appreciate 0