View Single Post
      05-15-2014, 12:04 AM   #13
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMN1971 View Post
The technician said the problem happens when they are programming the car. Not sure what exactly that means but according to them the new camera was installed and while programming the new camera the error was still there.
That's really strange. Did you have your car coded at all before this problem occurred? I wonder if it's a simple software error where the car needs to be completely reset/refreshed or something related to the LCD/Navigation wiring not picking up the signal to throw the camera on. These always deal with fuses. For example, there's a specific wire that is connected I believe by a 12V power source that runs from the camera in the rear to the break light switch that tells the monitor to flip the camera on when you put the gear in reverse. I looked up all this complicated wiring when we installed an aftermarket backup camera license plate system with a 7 inch display in my FX35. It works beautifully, faster than the X5 camera, which is surprising considering the whole setup only cost about $100. Do you have another service department near you or perhaps a local mechanic that is REALLY REALLY good at electronic wiring that is nice enough just to figure it out without charging you anything. We have a local friend that works at a tire shop and he's quite a genius when it comes to any electronic work on any vehicle. He's the one that walked me through the whole setup and how he configured the wiring in my FX35. Maybe the BMW service guys might be missing a basic/crucial step.