08-28-2014, 01:56 PM   #30
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cy07 View Post
That "enhances shift comfort" makes no performance difference in my book. When both auto in sport mode the difference is minimal and off the line the car is just as fast.
It's not the same off the line. Not drastic, but sport auto is quicker. And I assume the "shift comfort" is the part where it shifts more smoothly. Major performance difference, no. Like I keep saying, I'm not saying any of this is a major performance difference. But the transmission is smoother and the two are night and day. First F15 I drove was a 35i M sport and it felt quick and smooth, like my 335 (not as fast obviously, but still similar transmission feel). Second was a 35i x-line and it wasn't nearly as smooth nor did it feel as quick off the line, or have as immediate power when changing lanes on the highway, despite having the same exact engine. Is the performance difference enough to make anyone jump up and down? No. If the 35i isn't powerful enough, you get a 50i, not a sport auto. But the sport auto is absolutely smoother and at least slightly quicker.

Look, at the end of the day, the 8AT is a phenomenal transmission. The Sport Auto is the same thing, with enhanced programming to be even better. I don't get why they separate them, the Sport is smoother not just quicker, so I don't get why that wouldn't just be standard (who doesn't like smoother shifts…).

Last edited by chrisny; 08-28-2014 at 02:03 PM..
Appreciate 0