View Single Post
      12-11-2016, 04:01 PM   #14
ixlr8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by skim7x View Post
This may work for SOME people, but is inferior to other manufacturers solutions (ie Mercedes, Volvo, and Jag to name a few). First of all, the range is limited where as in other manufacturers is activated through a phone app, not the key fob. Second, if you read the operating instructions, it says "After a remote start, the vehicle is required to be started manually and put into drive before another remote start can occur." Make no sense... You basically can only use the remote start every other time you start your car, unless you want to crank your car an extra time every time you get into the car just to reset the remote start. Very poor engineering by BMW IN my opinion given the MUCH better solutions achieved by other manufacturers. I'm very disappointed to be honest.
VW Passat remote start is basically the same.

Remote start, unlock/open door and car shuts off, get in, manual start, drive away.

I agree, it makes absolutely NO sense at all. The other disappointing thing about this way overpriced product, there appears to be no feedback to indicate if the car has actually started. I have a cheapo dealer installed remote start on my GMC 2500 truck, there is no way to verify if the truck has started. Half the time I go out thinking it has warmed up some and I can go snow plowing only to find it didn't start!! Most of the aftermarket remote start units I have seen, they have some sort of feedback to indicate if the vehicle has actually started or not.
Appreciate 0