02-25-2017, 09:18 AM   #13
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldol View Post
So the car won't use our cellular network?
When I took a test drive last weekend the sales guy told me it used a SIM card in the car to establish the internet connection. There is an ongoing cost if you want to keep the service beyond the "free" period (don't remember how long that was). I doubt it provides a connection using your phone.

I found this on the BMW USA site if it helps (BMW WiFi Hotspot):

"The equipment includes a built-in BMW WiFi hotspot using the LTE standard, which allows for a paid internet connection. Passengers can then go online with all suitable devices, work on emails, stream music and videos, and much more. The hotspot ensures that there are no obstacles to enjoying a fascinating mobi- le internet experience with the maximum LTE standard while on the move. This function is compatible with a huge array of devices, such as BMW Touch Command, laptops, tablets and mobile phones from various manufacturers. Up to ten devices can be connected to the BMW WiFi hotspot at the same time. The vehicle is connected via the built-in SIM card with a fee-based hotspot plan HotSpot Drive from Deutsche Telekom AG. If no LTE network is available, the system automatically switches to other available standards. Since the service is connected to the external aerial, exposure to radiation in the interior of the car is very low."
Appreciate 0